Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Master Vanity Before and After for $33

 One day, I woke up.  Good thing.  It's not a good sign if we don't wake up.  I got the boys on the bus and headed back upstairs to get dressed and brush my teeth, but while I was in the bathroom, I got distracted by the ugliness of my vanity and decided I had looked at that thing "as is" long enough!  Without even changing out of my jammies, I ran downstairs, dumped some plaster of paris into some almost white paint I had on hand and started painting.  
Over a year ago, a friend had called wondering if I wanted all the old drawer pulls from her kitchen.  They were remodeling and got all new.  Free?  Handles?! Yes please!  Any shape or size! :)  I dug those out and spray painted them a hammered silver.  As well as the white toilet paper holder and brassy gold towel bar.

Here's what it looked like when I thought I was done.  I used the Cutting Edge Stencil I won with their photo contest submission (BOO YEAH!) and sent this photo to my sister and Debra from Dynamic Designs to see what they thought.  Better, but still kinda "UGH".  The white cabinets made the counter and sing look way to peachy and it clashed bad.  I was really nervous about trying to paint it because it's such a slippery ceramic surface, and I had no idea how a sink especially would hold up.  then I got around the sink issue when I saw how Debbie Doo's had taped off her's to make it look like a drop sink.  BINGO.  That's what I'd do.
I used regular masking tape because I wanted it to really stick!
 Then to my surprise, instead of having to buy more Rustoleum countertop paint, I had over half a can left from my kitchen countertops!!!  Oh excitement.  It was the perfect color, too.  I used a trusty foam roller, and applied a coat, and then another after the first had dried.  I'm pretty sure I'm 50% more brain dead after that.  That stuff is powerful.  At least I'm not pregnant like I keep dreaming I am!  Sheesh, what awful dreams.  Three is all I can handle!!!  Anyways, I also put two coats of poly on top of that to help seal it in.
It leaked under a little bit.  I'm a little nervous how well this is going to hold up on the edge.


SOOOOOOOOOO glad I rescued these from the burn pile when we tore off the laundry room for our addition.  I knew I'd need this old gorgeous wide trim someday!  I convinced my Hubs that it would be perfect around our ugly mirror.  Actually, first I had to convince him that the mirror was ugly. 
Applying the top piece was easy, as it went right into the wall.  The bottom one however.... not so easy.  Tim cut this board to hold it in place while the liquid  nail dried.
We found the light fixture on Ebay for $24!!!!  One globe was cracked and a socket was broken (but still functional) when we received it so we've got a new globe on the way and they also refunded us $10!! 



Now there's something I can live with!  

And All I had to buy was the hammered spray paint $5 and the light which we got for $28 (after shipping).

Total cost: $33
Pin It

Check out my awesome sponsors:
_____________________________________________________________________________








Funky Junk's Sat Nite SpecialThe DIY Show Off

35 comments:

  1. AWESOME job girl! I am glad you used what you had, why waste! Looks awesome and you sink and trim is perfecto! The leakage was an easy fix, and not hard to get it looking perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stencil! It looks great! And the white and gray look so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh I really like it. Its amazing what you can do with paint and hard work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I lve the stencil king on the cabinet. I saw this recently on design star and really want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a transformation...looks fantastic!
    Kim@madeinaday.com
    http://madeinaday.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! You did a fantastic job! Which stencil is that? I'm looking at 2 there and can't make up mind which I want, Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am seeing countertop paint in my future lol. That stuff just sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazing! I love the stencil on there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That stencil is the perfect embellishment to the vanity. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe that's a $33 renovation! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesn't surprise me! Great job for $33 bucks!
    ~Tami
    P.S. Hope there's room for a little princess potty in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think i need some of that countertop paint- amazing! it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, das ist richtig super geworden. Gefällt mir sehr, sehr gut. Und das alles für kleines Geld. Gruss

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving the wrap around! The bath looks so fresh and new... and you can't beat the price!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful transformation. Amazing how paint makes it all feel so clean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. INCREDIBLE! What a terrific makeover. I *love* the stencil on the cabinets, and the frame on the mirror is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Can I borrow your magic wand please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job kammy! I love it! I think I need to frame my mirrors too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so inspired...I've been wanting to redo my bathroom for ages. Love, love the stenciled cabnet!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an incredible makeover - love it! It never ceases to amaze and delight me what paint and some imagination can do, and the willingness to be brave and "dive in." I never thought about repainting my shiny brass towel holders but now I will -- I've been slowly finishing up my own bathroom redo after 2 years of sitting (after new paint, flooring and light fixture were installed). Budget couldn't handle all new towel holders, etc. so I thought I'd be stuck with the shiny brass for awhile, but now I see I can spray paint them the oiled bronze finish I want (bought a new shower curtain rod in that finish -- should have thought about painting before I made that purchase, DOH!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is gorgeous ad inspiring. You should see my masterbath (UGLY). I am so impressed with your resourcefulness and skills!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fantastic DIY makeover! I pinned it and fb'ed it too. Looks great. I have done the stick trick too when needing glue to dry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just signed up to your blog. Happened to pick this post to view. OH YEAH! That's what I'm talkin' about :-) I hate hate hate oak...it's just about all we see around here for trim and cabinets! SO when I saw this redo I literally swooned. Lovin' the white!

    I get clients who ask me "What can I do to lighten up my bathroom or kitchen?" I mention "paint the cabinets" and they dang near have a heart attack!!!! LOL! Your "after" is a perfect example of what a little paint can do to an otherwise boring space :-)

    Kudos in spades to you!
    New follower,
    Connie
    www.cndesigns.biz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wish I could get inspired like that while brushing my teeth :) It looks gorgeous Kammy! Amazing job! And no offense to the old bathroom, but SOO much better :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so talented! Great job, it looks fantastic....love the vanity and stencil. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. How does the countertop paint hold up?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks amazing! I'd love for you to link it up to my party. You can win a chance of free home decor just for linking up: http://trophyw.blogspot.com/2012/02/will-craft-for-laughter-and-grace.html
    Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! We have oak cabinetry as well. I've been wanting to paint them for a long time now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks great! Silly question for you...what's the purpose of adding the plaster of paris to the white paint? Does it just give more texture and how much do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely stunning. I'm inspired to do something to my bath now! Been looking around your site tonight and love it (I subscribed it to my reader). Thanks for sharing your creative ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've been looking at my bathroom for months thinking, 'I want to change this.' Now I think you've just shown me how!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Kammy! LOVE your paint job on the cabinets - we seem to have identical style and finish - could you go into more detail about how and why you used the plaster of paris in the paint - did it make it adhere to the finish better (did you sand it any at all?) The addition of the crown molding to the mirror looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What if your sink is the same color as the rest of it? I would love to do this, but not sure if it can be done. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments - Next best thing to chocolate! :) Please let me know you visited!